top of page

Streets Through Time - Church Street
No 20 Oak Farmhouse also known as Chimo Cottage 


Estate cottage, now house. Mid C18, raised and altered c1800, remodeled c1830, refenestrated mid C20. Coursed squared stone and brick, with pantile roof. This building is one of those built or altered c1790-1820 by George de Ligne Gregory and remodeled in a picturesque style c1820-1840 by Gregory Gregory

Oak Farmhouse Chimo Cottage.jpg

As from the image above, the building was originally far more ornate than it is now having decorative external timbers and the features above the front door including decorative roofing now removed. Plus all period windows are now gone and replaced by much larger C20 style windows.

The image on the right was taken from the 1844 edition of the Gardeners Chronicle and Agricultural Gazette which shows all the missing features and can be assumed these were all enhancements at the time of construction.  At that time, it is noted that the Tudor style schoolhouse on its right that exists today has not yet been built.

old school house 1844 Gardeners chronicle and agricultural gazette.jpg

The 1937 Estate Sale (see right) shows that all these original features are still on the building at this time and it is no longer referred to as Chimo Cottage but is now the farmhouse for Oak Farm. On the opposite side of the entrance to church are the Oak Farm buildings and yard. A map as recent as 1983 show that the farm lands extended up to the whole of the  perimeter of the Old Rectory, down to Rectory Lane, and back along the border of Glebe House.

1983 Oak Farm area.jpg

At this time, the tenant is Mrs Burton. This would be Mary the wife of John W F Burton who is the dairy farmer. The Burton family are noted as in residence in the 1921 census. John (b. 1883) and Mary (b. 1881) have a 9 year old daughter Mary Emma and new born son Noel at this time.

In 1939, John is still running the farm but Mary has passed away. Noel, now 19, is working as the grocery shop assistant. Mary Kitchen is now living here as a domestic with her daughter also named Mary.

30 SCHOOL HSE 3.jpg
Lot 61 The Oak Farm v2.jpg

Below: Taken in the late 1960's. Note decorative timbers etc have been removed by this time.

Oak Farmhouse Chimo Cottage.jpg

For ease of comparison, the above two images taken at least 80 years apart show the changes made to this lovely and quirky building.

In the 2000's, the farmyard opposite the farmhouse became derelict and there were signs that the barn had been on fire at some point with twisted frames and burnt timbers showing. The image on the right is the farmyard as it was in 2009. This area has since been developed with new and contemporary residential houses.

old Oak farmhouse maybe.jpg
bottom of page