top of page

Streets through time - Pond Street
No 1 Tudor Cottage


Estate cottage, now a house. c1830-40, with late C20 alterations. Coursed squared stone with red brick and ashlar dressings and pantile roof. Brick plinth and quoins, ashlar coped gables with kneelers. Coped ashlar ridge stack with double flue. 2 storeys; 2 window range. Windows are stone mullioned casements with diamond pane glazing.  This building is probably one of those built c1820-1840 by Gregory Gregory

In the Estate sale of 1937, the tenancy is that of a Mr T Bramley.

Thomas Bramley is a retired army warrant officer and is recorded in the 1939 register that he (aged 89)  and his daughter Constance Faith Bramley (58) are living in Tudor Cottage. He is a widower and Constance a spinster.

They are both recorded in the 1911 and 1921 censuses as living here. In 1911, Thomas's other daughter Alice Maud Bramley aged 34 is living with them.

It is thought that Constance lived here after her father passed away and then later moved to one of the Bede Cottages on Swinehill. After Constance, Phil Hunter and his wife moved into the property.

Lot 6 Tudor Cottage.jpg

Thomas was very active in the community and so well thought of that, in 1928, they presented him in with a scroll in an oak frame. (see picture on left) The frame was made from the old  timbers of the church bell tower by Ern. A Collin who was the local carpenter, wheelright and coffin maker who lived in what is now known as Cornridge in Pond St. The scroll also notes that Thomas was:

Church Warden from 1905 to 1926: Vice Chairman of the Parish Council from 1894 to 1928; and a serving Foundation Manager of the School.

thomas bramley scroll.jpg

Above image taken in late 1960's. Below left 2009 and right 2004

bottom of page