top of page

Streets through time - Pond Street
No 3 Cherry Tree Cottag

IMG_0698.JPG

Historic England records this as an estate cottage now a house. Dated 1812, altered c1820-1840, with C20 rear addition. Painted brick with ashlar dressings and slate roof. This building is one of those built or altered c1790-1820 by George de Ligne Gregory and altered c1820-1840 by Gregory Gregory

In the Estate sale of 1937, the property is known as The Ferns cottage. Pond Street is then known as Manor Rd and the  tenancy is that of a Mrs B Burton.

In 1937, Mrs Hilda A Parker purchases the property and its 2 acres of land which includes its own well for £320. Hilda and her husband Frederick - a builders foreman - live there throughout WW2. Frederick is an ARP warden.

In 1946, it is sold to Mrs Ada Whitehead - wife of Arthur - for £2400. Ada dies in 1948 and Arthur dies a year later so the house is sold to Lawrence and Gwendoline Waddleton in 1950 for £2500. Lawrence is a schoolteacher. They rename the property Darby House.

In 1954, the Waddletons sell it to James B B Ellis for £3000.

In 1964, the land behind the property is sold off to developers Syltone Ltd. 

In 1967, James and Dorothy Ellis and their son John are in residence and the house is now known as Cherry Tree Cottage. They also have a daughter Jacqueline Marie (b1944). Jackie is Clare Robertson's (from the Rectory) best friend.

 

In 1987 John buys the property from his father for £22,500.

Lot 7 The Ferns.jpg
23 CHERRY TREE COTT POND ST 2.jpg

Above image taken in late 1960's. 

bottom of page