top of page

Streets through time - High Street
No 26 Coneygree


Originally a pair of estate cottages, now a single house. Mid C18, remodelled 1796 and mid C19, altered late C20. Red brick with ashlar dressings and concrete pantile roof. This building is the most elaborate of those built or altered c1790-1820 by George de Ligne Gregory, and altered c1820-1840 by Gregory Gregory.

It is unclear when the property became a single house but assumed it was post 1967 after Elsie Noon died . John Morris and his wife Dorothy lived here until 1983. John was an optician and had his practice in St Katherines Rd, Grantham. The land to the rear of the property was split and a modern bungalow - Coneycroft - built on this land which John and Dorothy moved to from Coneygree. Dorothy passed away in 1992. John re married to Yoon and lived there until he passed away in recent years.

Coneygree itself was sold to Jeffrey and Brenda Halliwell in 1983. In 1994, the Halliwells sold the property to Thomas and Rachel  Ely. Thomas passed away in 2011 aged 75 and, in 2013, Rachel sold the property to the current residents . 

Lot 29 SD brick cottage LHS.jpg

The RHS cottage was let to various head teachers of the village school. An old postcard refers to a Mr Reynolds and Mr Abbott being residents at some point.

Mr Abbott is the named tenant in the 1937 estate sale. Harry Abbott was Head Teacher at the school from 1935 to 1950.


In the 1939 Register, Harry Abbott and his family are now living in the Schoolhouse.  He is also the senior Air Raid Warden for the village at this time.

Local resident Pat Hollingsworth recalls later residents in the LHS cottage being a Mrs Anderson, a widow who had been married to a vicar. She later moved to Bede Cottage on Swinehill and Peter and Phyllis Carter moved in to Coneygree. Phyllis was well known in the village amateur dramatics group. 

Lot 29 SD brick cottage LHS.jpg

The LHS of the building was let to Charles Noon  (sat on RHS in image to right) at the time of the 1937 Estate sale.


Charles was born (1870) and raised in Harlaxton. His parents were John and Susannah (Susan) Noon and he had two older siblings - John (born 1861) and Lucy (born1863).


He became a dairy farmer and his wife Susan (or Susannah) and their daughters Lucy, Rose, and Elsie were recorded as living here from as far back as 1901. In 1921, Rose (23) and Elsie is still living at home but Lucy (27) is now living in London. In the 1939 register Charles (69), Susan(74) and daughter Elsie(39) are residing here.


Susan died 16th Dec 1947 aged 84 and Charles died  17th April 1961 aged 90. They are buried in the village churchyard along with their daughter Elsie who died in 1967 aged 67. It is assumed that Elsie continued to live in this house for the rest of her life.

Coneygree Noon family enhanced.jpg

In 2018, a lady named Julie Price brought her elderly mum June (see images on the left) to see the house.


June was a young child when she was evacuated to the house during WW2 and Julie wanted her to see it. Although June had dementia she remembered being there as a child.


After the war, June became a professional dancer.

Coneygree 3 enhanced.jpg
Coneygree and hunt enhanced.jpg
bottom of page