top of page

Streets through time - High Street
No 65 The Cottage

IMG_9806.JPG

The building is described by Historic England as 3 houses c.1700 altered c1800 and remodelled c1830, with C20 alterations. This building is probably one of those refronted c1790-1820 by George de Ligne Gregory and remodelled in a picturesque style c1820-1840 by Gregory Gregory.

 

The main garden is to the front of the property with a small courtyard and outhouses at the rear. It may have had a side entrance to the rear of the property at one time but the boundary line was altered by Mr and Mrs Edwards - the owners of both Well House next door and this property - in 2007 so that the right hand strip of land became part of Well House. From the interior, there is a suspicion that the cottages may have had adjoining doors looking at the wall configuration by the main front door although there is no evidence to confirm this.

In the Estate sale of 1937, the tenancy of the three houses are noted as Messrs Naylor, Richmond and Mrs Green. At this time it is unclear as to who is living in what house. The ownership of this property post the Estate Sale is unclear although in 3rd March 1938, it appears that title of the house was transferred from George John Baxter, James Gerald Webster Barker and Douglas Selbourne Whitehouse to William Thomas Easom of Sysonby Knoll.

William T Easom died 24th June 1942 and the property was inherited by his sons William Frank Easom - grocer in Melton Mowbray, Owen Brewster Easom - dentist in Spalding, and John Brownlow Easom - a chartered accountant in Melton Mowbray. They sold the property on 29th June, 1945 to Miss Doris Dent - a spinster from Holland Park London - for £275.

Lot 11 3 x Cottages.jpg
17 HOARWITHY AND THE COTT HIGH ST.jpg

Above taken in the late 1960's. Note the boundary line and side access which is now part of Well House

In more recent times, the property has not had many long term residents.

 

On 23rd July 1964, Norman Bradley of Harlaxton sold to K E Bryan £1750.

 

On 4th March 1966, Mr Kenneth Eric Bryan formerly of 22 Oakleigh Rd Grantham sold to Mr Paul Anthony Heathershaw of 10 Cowes Rd Grantham for £1900.

On 22nd Feb 1971, Paul Heathershaw sold the property to Joseph Frederick George Jarvis and his wife Dorothy Frances Jarvis of Garston, Watford for £2300.

In 2004, Mrs H Atwood applied to demolish front boundary wall to create off road parking which was approved.

On 20th July 2007,  Malcolm and Cherry Edwards sold it to Caroline Ann Parsons who initiated some alterations up to 2009.

Current residents bought the house in 2021. 

IMG_9797.JPG
IMG_9803.JPG
bottom of page